Surely, you’ve heard of ‘alcoholism’ before. Now it is most commonly known as ‘alcohol abuse disorder,’ which describes people who frequently drink too much alcohol. But how can you tell that someone is an alcoholic? Therefore, it is crucial to learn the warning signs of alcoholism. Fortunately, Fresh Start Recovery Center offers the mental health and alcohol addiction treatment programs necessary to overcome alcohol abuse.
7 Signs Of Alcoholism
When you want to know if someone is having a serious problem with alcohol, you should look for these warning signs:
- Lying or hiding about their drinking habits
- Not being able to stop binge drinking
- Exhibiting troubling behavior
- Showing physical signs of alcoholism (weight loss, dry skin, etc.)
- Neglecting duties and cherished hobbies
- Having difficulties in maintaining relationships
- Showing withdrawal symptoms when unable to drink
If you are showing more than two of these signs in the past year, you might have a problem. Just two or three of these signals mean your alcohol abuse disorder could be a minor case. But if it’s more than five symptoms, it is safe to say you have a severe problem with alcohol.
It may be time to reach out to family and friends to stage an intervention. If not treated right away, alcoholism can quickly go out of control. It can get to the point where it negatively impacts your life and causes harm to others.
If your case reaches that degree, you will likely be diagnosed with alcohol abuse disorder (AUD). This step means you officially have a disease that needs treatment. But don’t worry. If you can recognize the warning signs of alcoholism and get proper treatment, you can kick this problem.
Finding out whether someone is an alcoholic isn’t an exact science. But since the signs often appear with one another, you will quickly notice when your binge drinking has turned into a health problem.
The Danger Of The Signs Of Alcoholism
Alcohol can affect both an individual’s personal and professional life. Drinking too much puts your body at risk. You may develop serious health complications that may even be life-threatening. These facts make it essential that you get help as soon as you notice signs of alcoholism.
Alcohol abuse can have a severe influence on one’s physical health. Alcohol causes serious harm to the body, destroys major organs, and can even lead to death. You can tell that your body has been affected by alcohol abuse if you experience symptoms that include:
- Brittle hair and nails
- Extreme weight loss or gain
- Alcohol-smelling breath
- A flushed but dry complexion
- Yellowish skin and premature aging
- Unexplained injuries or bruises
- Poor personal hygiene
How to Tell If Alcohol Has Taken Over Your Life
You know the physical signs of alcoholism. But what about changes in behavior that result from alcohol use? Knowing these symptoms is also vital to understanding your alcohol abuse. Behavioral signs that a person has a problem with alcohol include:
- Going to events and other social activities looking for alcohol
- Buying alcohol excessively causes debt and financial difficulty
- Spending time and energy to obtain alcohol instead of doing productive activities
- Spending excessive time drinking and recovering from its effects
- Drinking with other people instead of spending time with family and friends
If you or someone you know are exhibiting these signs, now is the time to stop making excuses and get help. The first step towards recovery is acknowledging and accepting you have a problem.
Get the Help You Need At Fresh Start Recovery Center
By refusing to recognize that you have an alcohol abuse disorder, you are preventing yourself from living a good life. Learn to read the signs of alcoholism, and don’t be afraid to contact Fresh Start Recovery Center at 833.625.0398. Many resources can help you begin your recovery today.