No need to deny it: Men and women are different. There are critical differences when it comes to how the genders react and respond to substance abuse. That’s one of the main reasons for the existence of gender-specific treatment, including men’s rehab.
A men’s rehab program involves men working together with men to understand their addictions and mutually help each other toward solutions. Evidence shows that focusing on issues with a segregated audience is a critical factor in treatment success.
Is Gender-Specific Treatment Necessary?
Though drugs and alcohol have universal properties for how they impact your central nervous system, there are significant differences that appear for men and women. Researchers have found that segregating the two groups helps produce positive outcomes.
The main issue pointing towards men’s rehab (or women’s rehab, for that matter) stems from the forces that lead to addiction. Men and women face unique pressures in their lives and from society.
For instance, men are more susceptible to addiction through the pressure of peers. They also face massive stress from expectations to be a good provider that can also lead to substance abuse. Women feel their own stresses, such as the expectations to be good wives, mothers, employees, and more.
Men and women also abuse different drugs in different ways. Gender-specific treatment focuses on identifying those differences and addressing them effectively.
5 Benefits of Men’s Addiction Rehab Program
One of the main benefits of gender-specific treatment is in providing a positive environment to explore problems. That’s also one of the benefits of men’s treatment. Here are five other benefits of men’s rehab:
- Creates a judgment-free zone: Men face unique circumstances in connection with substance abuse, such as sexual dysfunction. It’s hard to talk about this mixed company.
- Ability to find allies and advocates: The role of peer support in addiction treatment really cannot be underestimated. The bonds of a men’s rehab program pay dividends down the road.
- Fewer distractions: Men and women together inherently can create certain types of friction. Gender-specific treatment eliminates those tensions.
- Focus on what matters: In a mixed company, the issues are broad. One of the benefits of men’s treatment is narrowing the scope to the things that matter.
- Better communication: Being with other men makes it easier to open up.
What Does Men’s Rehab Entail?
While the issues handled in a men’s rehab program are different from those of a women’s rehab program, the structure isn’t. Men and women work their way through the same stages of recovery. Those stages include:
- Assessment/intake: A thorough medical exam establishes a health baseline, which our team will use to create a treatment plan.
- Detox: In most cases, you first must flush the drugs and alcohol from your system. You do this under the supervision of doctors who treat withdrawal.
- Counseling: The central part of rehab involves working with addiction therapists, alone and in a group, to understand what brought you to this point and how to cope better in the future.
- Aftercare: since relapse happens at a high rate, the aftercare stage works on providing resources to prevent that from happening.
A men’s rehab program can help men get through these stages more quickly and effectively.
Men’s Addiction Treatment at Fresh Start Recovery Center
Gender-specific treatment programs provide an acknowledgment that individuals experience substance abuse and receive treatment in different ways. That’s particularly true for the genders, and why Fresh Start Recovery Center offers a men’s rehab program and believes strongly in the benefits of gender-specific treatment. Based in Maryland, Fresh Start Recovery Center provides rehab for substance abuse, behavioral addictions, and co-occurring disorders.
Our experienced team is ready today to work with you to provide a clinical assessment, detox, counseling, and aftercare in the best possible environment in substance abuse treatment. Our focus is on helping you rebuild and restore your life. Take the first step toward recovery today. Reach Fresh Start Recovery Center at 833.625.0398 to schedule an initial caring and confidential consultation.