Drinking alcohol is part of our society. While most people can drink with no major consequences, others aren’t so fortunate. Drinking can become a problem, sometimes with life-threatening consequences. In those moments, it’s important to know the signs of alcohol overdose.
The signs of alcohol overdose are decidedly not pretty and require medical assistance. The overdose stage can involve everything from excessive vomiting up to unconsciousness.
If you or a loved one is worried about your drinking habits, and wondering if you are at risk of overdose, then now is the time to act. Contact Fresh Start Recovery Center, for the services and support you need to keep you from becoming a casualty of alcohol abuse. Begin an alcohol addiction treatment program for help today.
Signs of Alcohol Overdose
Alcohol depresses the central nervous system. It’s when you drink your past the slowing down of your nervous system that the signs of alcohol overdose begin to appear. Drink enough, and your breathing, heart rate, and body’s internal thermometer slow almost to a stop.
Alcohol overdose doesn’t necessarily lead immediately to unconsciousness, but it is certainly not far off. The signs to look for with an alcohol overdose include:
- Mental fog or confusion
- Inability to stay alert or awake
- Very low heart rate
Without medical intervention, an alcohol overdose can lead to brain damage or death, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
When to Get Help
It is difficult to pinpoint an exact moment when the signs of alcohol overdose become a crisis. Many factors are involved, such as age and size, and how much they’ve eaten.
So the best thing to do in the presence of someone who is showing signs of alcohol overdose is to call for medical help immediately. Don’t waste time with some of the old wife’s tales — that coffee, or a cold shower, or a walk around the block can revive an individual. Those don’t work.
Keep calm when calling for help, because first responders will need to know how much the person drank and if they also took any other medications with the alcohol. Put your friend on the ground in a seated position and stay with them; you may need to help keep them from falling or choking.
As unpleasant as it is, you may have to help your friend vomit by making sure they are leaning forward. If lying down and unconscious, the person’s best position is on their side. Time is of the essence when you start seeing the signs of alcohol overdose.
Treatment for an Alcohol Overdose
Once at the hospital, doctors will treat alcohol overdose in several ways. Your friend may receive an IV to replenish carbohydrates and ward off dehydration, according to the Cleveland Clinic.
The doctors may feel they have to help the person breathe by inserting a tracheal tube into the windpipe. The care team may have to pump their stomach to remove any alcohol that may remain. Doctors may also flush the stomach to hasten the body to clear toxins. The person may also go through a process called hemodialysis, which is also intended to remove poisons from the blood.
All of this is aimed at saving a person’s life.
Reclaiming Sobriety at Fresh Start Recovery Center
The signs of alcohol overdose are frightening to witness. It creates a life-or-death situation that’s as serious as any other drug overdose. At Fresh Start Recovery Center, we’re dedicated to making sure no one has to live through these moments. We provide a full set of treatment and recovery programs aimed at helping people get their addictions under control. The Fresh Start care team has years of experience with the latest in addiction medicine, with a keen focus on evidence-based care. Whether for drugs or alcohol, our services will provide you with a comprehensive treatment plan to guide you from detox and counseling to aftercare. We’re ready to rebuild hope. Contact Fresh Start Recovery Center today at 833.625.0398 to discuss your options.